FC4T1 installation and testing notes

John Pearson jpearson42 at wowway.com
Thu Mar 17 03:26:44 UTC 2005

03/16/2005-07:18:35 PM-EST
I am trying to run yum.  yum is not cooperating.

03/16/2005-07:49:56 PM-EST
Using the Personal Desktop option, there is no way to mount the installation
dvd to augment the package store.  I could, and did:

# mount -t auto /dev/dvd/ /media/cdrom

But there is neither icon nor visable means of mounting anything.  And some
daemon or other is not running.

I have installed the kde desktop, but there are numbers of tools that are not
included.

I am finally doing a yum update.  Latest error to surface:
--> Processing Dependency: libpisock.so.8()(64bit) for package: gnome-pilot
--> Processing Dependency: libwnck-1.so.4()(64bit) for package:
gnome-applets
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: libpisock.so.8()(64bit) is needed by package
gnome-pilot
Error: Missing Dependency: libwnck-1.so.4()(64bit) is needed by package
gnome-applets
[root at Natasha ~]#

I guess I will not be using those packages for a while.

Wed Mar 16 21:40:38 EST 2005

Under System Tools:
Hardware browser option is n/a.
Help for Configuration Editor is n/a.
User Mount Tool unmounted installation dvd, but could not remount it.
Internet Connection Wizard is n/a.

Notes on OpenOffice:
[terminal output]
[jpearson at Natasha ~]$ which oowriter
/usr/bin/oowriter
[jpearson at Natasha ~]$ oowriter
javaldx: Could not find a Java Runtime Environment!
no suitable windowing system found, exiting.
[jpearson at Natasha ~]$
[jpearson at Natasha ~]$ which oocalc
/usr/bin/oocalc
[jpearson at Natasha ~]$ oocalc
javaldx: Could not find a Java Runtime Environment!
no suitable windowing system found, exiting.

Wed Mar 16 22:17:06 EST 2005
fstab-sync is not updating fstab when usb storage devices are attached to
system. Nor are the corresponding entries in /media appearing.

-jp