Can I Get a FC4T1 Installation Summary?

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 17 03:43:56 UTC 2005

Tino Meinen wrote:
>>>Can I avoid the MBR issue in advance of the installation? Is YUM a
>>>confirmed problem?
>>
>>MBR issue:  run linux expert at the boot prompt, and when you get into the
>>install, before you start installing the packages, hit alt+f2 to switch to
>>the second console.  dd if=/dev/hda of=/root/mbr bs=512 count=1 should
>>save your MBR into /root/mbr.  Hit alt+f7 to go back to your install (i'm
>>assuming you are running graphical install).  After all the packages have
>>been installed and before you reboot, go back into the console, and cat
>>the saved mbr into /dev/hda.
>

> That is great, thanks!
> So with this I can get my bootprogram in the MBR back the way it was.
>
> But now i'm puzzled: how does one get a new bootrecord in the
> bootpartition so that one can chainload to boot into FC4t1?
>
> Tino

If you are using GRUB from another Linux partition, boot that system,
mount the partition for FC4T1, open its /etc/grub.conf in an editor and
insert the appropriate lines from it into the /etc/grub.conf for the
system that is controlling the MBR.

If this isn't your case, some more explicit description may prompt
someone to provide a suitable answer.

Hope this helps.

Gerry