Can I Get a FC4T1 Installation Summary?

Demond James maestronn at wowway.com
Thu Mar 17 14:04:37 UTC 2005

Gerry Tool wrote:

>>> MBR issue:  run linux expert at the boot prompt, and when you get
>>> into the install, before you start installing the packages, hit
>>> alt+f2 to switch to the second console.  dd if=/dev/hda of=/root/mbr
>>> bs=512 count=1 should save your MBR into /root/mbr.  Hit alt+f7 to
>>> install).  After all the packages have been installed and before you
>>> reboot, go back into the console, and cat the saved mbr into /dev/hda.
>>

>> That is great, thanks!
>> So with this I can get my bootprogram in the MBR back the way it was.
>>
>> But now i'm puzzled: how does one get a new bootrecord in the
>> bootpartition so that one can chainload to boot into FC4t1?
>>
>> Tino
>>
> If you are using GRUB from another Linux partition, boot that system,
> mount the partition for FC4T1, open its /etc/grub.conf in an editor
> and insert the appropriate lines from it into the /etc/grub.conf for
> the system that is controlling the MBR.
>
> If this isn't your case, some more explicit description may prompt
> someone to provide a suitable answer.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Gerry

Is GRUB on FC4test1 working OK? Can I just install the FC4test1 version
of GRUB in the MBR and then update the new grub.conf file with the
information the was in my old grub.conf file?  From what I have read the
problem is only with people not wanting FC4test1 to install grub on the
MBR.  Is that the case?