Install Takes: 3 - 8

John Pearson jpearson42 at wowway.com
Thu Mar 17 17:15:37 UTC 2005

I don't feel qualified to create feature/bug distinctions.  I will just report
what I have done.

Restarting this morning with a clean install, hardware as follows:
System looks like this:
Gigabyte GA-K8NS motherboard [nForce3 250 chipset]
AMD64 2800+
1.0G DDR400 ram
30G Maxator ide [lost the rest of the documentation]
70G Seagate sata

Yesterday, I could not get a working install to the sata drive.  This morning
I have after 4 tries.  Only by accepting automatic partitioning, NOT
requesting an option to include an entry for the FC4T1 installation on the
other drive, could I not bomb out on a python script error, or install a
system that could not find the kernel.

I requested 'disable' for selinux, and selected 'everything' on the final go.

With the system up, having taken root:
In the midst of update with rhn.  Key installed.  Package select all does
not work.  There are duplicate entries in thelist displayed. I am selecting
by hand.

Thu Mar 17 09:40:11 EST 2005
Selection process seems to have just locked up.  All I am running is this
terminal window and Kysguard, which show a massive overload of nothing in
particular, gdm specifically.

up2date package selector is toast.  Killing it out.

03/17/2005-09:51:16 AM-EST
in /etc/sysconfig/desktop:
DESKTOP="KDE"
DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"

I will need to shut down and see if this works.

03/17/2005-10:00:14 AM-EST
I had to reboot in order to switch display managers.  Just restarting
xwindows did not do the trick.

Noted failures on the reboot:
ccsd
smartd

I could not log on as root with the new login manager.  But I can live with
that.  Ksysguard shows the kdm running essentially zero load.

03/17/2005-10:05:16 AM-EST
Retrying up2date, since more cycles are available.  No joy.  It works up to
the package selection dialog.  I can't select just one package and proceed
with an upgrade.

03/17/2005-10:14:10 AM-EST
I am running: yum update And it is doing something - flaking out.
I am restarting: yum -t update Nope.

03/17/2005-10:38:11 AM-EST
I am trying: yum -t update kde*
But first: yum remove jpilot
And then: yum -t update kde*

I will have to get up2date, or preferably yum working before I can go further
with this project.  I have read the yum man page, but I seem to be missing
something.

-Jpearson