Installing FC4 Test 1 - Vmware Workstation v4.5 on WinXP

Jerry Babcock jerrybabcock at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 01:24:06 UTC 2005

To all, with a lot of help from the user community I was able to
successfully install FC4 Test 1 using Vmware Workstation v4.5. Listed
below are the steps I did to make it successful.

FYI - The two sources of information that helped me the most were:
keithmo's blog - http://kerneltrap.org/node/4030
Woodys post at -
http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=8923&tstart=0

Host Configuration:
    * Custom AMD Workstation
    * 512MB RAM
    * 80GB Internal HD
    * Windows XP Home with all updates
    * VMware 4.5.2 build-8848

Guest Configuration:
    * Fedora Core 4 Test 1 (downloaded .iso files)
    * 256MB RAM
    * /boot # about 250 Mbyte
    */swap # about 2* your memory size
    */ # whatever space you have left on your disk

Installation:

* Graphical install seems to work OK – no need for "retro" text-mode install.
* Avoid the CD verification step.
* Install as usual; shuffle disks and finish the installation.
* Boot – runlevel 3
* Login as root.
* Disable the following services for runlevel 5.
#ntsysv --level 5
acpid
anacron
apmd
atd
autofs
crond
cups
cups-config-daemon
iptables
isdn
kudzu
mdmonitor
mdmpd
mDNSResponder
messagebus
netfs
nfs
nfslock
pcmcia
portmap
rhnsd
rpcgssd
rpcidmapd
rpcsvcgssd
sendmail
sshd
xinetd

*Do the following from Woodys post at -
http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?threadID=8923&tstart=0
I have written a script for doing this on Mandrake 10.1 and Fedora
Core 3 (both using Xorg).
I have not tested on SuSE 9.2 but this should get the job done.

# Backup, backup, backup!
Snapshot -> Save Snapshot
VM -> Install VMWare Tools

# In the virtual machine:

cd /root
wget http://woody.linif.org/vmconffix.sh
chmod a+x vmconffix.sh

# Will be /media/cdrom on Fedora Core 3
mount /mnt/cdrom
cd /tmp
tar xzf /mnt/cdrom/vmware-linux-tools.tar.gz
umount /mnt/cdrom
cd vmware-tools-distrib

/root/vmconffix.sh /tmp/vmware-tools-distrib/vmware-install.pl

# Done!
# To reconfigure vmware tools, run:

/root/vmconffix.sh /usr/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl

The script is straight forward and commented.
The issue is that vmware-config-tools.pl gets the X version by first running:

/usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 -version

and it expects a response similar to:

XFree86 Version 4.3.0.1

Xorg instead has:

/usr/X11R6/bin/Xorg

and returns:

Release Date: 18 December 2003
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.7

The config file for Xorg and Xfree86 4.3 are the same format but a
different name and as
such we set an enviroment variable to tell vmware what file to modify.

As always, use at your own risk and ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS backup
first (snapshot!). Hope this helps,

Woody

*Update - before you log in via gui
#yum -y update