Can I Get a FC4T1 Installation Summary?

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Mar 18 01:46:47 UTC 2005

Demond James wrote:

> Is GRUB on FC4test1 working OK? Can I just install the FC4test1 version
> of GRUB in the MBR and then update the new grub.conf file with the
> information the was in my old grub.conf file?  From what I have read the
> problem is only with people not wanting FC4test1 to install grub on the
> MBR.  Is that the case?

It was broken for me with a fresh install. I could not get my
installation to boot at all. I used the rescue disk and tried to install
grub after chroot /mnt/sysimage and attempted to install it in the mbr
once and onto hda1 (boot partition) another time.

The program mc caused the computer to reboot using the rescue CD. passwd
segfaulted but adduser worked. There were problems mounting floppies or
CDROMS, neither had mount points or were recognized as devices.

On another installation, anaconda would install a couple of rpms, then
the progress would cease. You could switch to a terminal and all
processes seemed to be present, just not doing anything.

On an upgrade on yet another computer, it seemed to upgrade without much
of a problem. I haven't tried booting it yet from post installation.
There are two other FC installations on this particular computer, so
this should be interesting to see which installation has the control of
the boot.

On the laptop that I have ftp installed versions of rawhide. Grub
mentioned that it could not detect a boot loader and left it alone. When
I tried to upgrade this installation from the ftp rawhide version, it
presented a message that the kernel was not updated, so it left grub alone.

With an install attempt to install FC4T1 on an XP host through vmware,
it hung at a particular package installation but I could not switch to
screen 2 and also the mouse seemed to be locked.

Jim