Fwd: Octave?

Matthew Miller mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Mar 18 22:42:54 UTC 2005

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 04:00:22PM -0500, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> Gah.  I should have careful with my words...   What I intended to
> convey is that packages included in the core distribution tend to be
> better maintained. This wasn't intended to be a specific slam against

While this should be taken with the normal caution around forward-looking
statements, I don't think that this will necessarily be the case, especially
for special-domain programs like Octave. With FC-mumble-mumble-5,
installing packages from Extras will be as easy as installing packages from
Core. And, since they can be maintained by someone specialized in the
particular field and well-versed in the actual program -- maybe someone who
*just* maintains that package with no other Fedora workload -- I expect many
Extras packages to get *better* maintenance than they would in Core.