FC4 t1 on minimac Xorg questions

Bret Hughes bhughes at elevating.com
Sat Mar 19 00:07:51 UTC 2005

I installed FC4 t1 last night and after dinking a bit with the X
configuration, I am working on getting the most out of the radeon 9200
built into the thing.

some observations and a question or two.

I used a graphical install with no problem other than the fact that
anaconda never asked me to to configure x and left the box in a butt
ugly 640X480 8 bit vga mode.

I also never had a chance to add a non root user.  Isn't all this a
firstboot thing.  I saw something in the list archives but thoutght I
would mention it for another data point.

I ran system-config-display and selected the 9200 and a generic LCD
1024X768 monitor and it looks fine.

dmesg and Xorg.0.log report drm and dri in use.

glxinfo says direct rendering is used.  glx gears gets about 9 fps,  And
no I did not froget to put a 0 in there it reports nine frames per
second.

What do I need to look for?  I have upgraded gcc and xorg-x11 et.al.
from rawhide but I did not want to get too far into it withou asking for
some guidance.

Next I dl'ed MPlayer and tried to compile it.  gcc 4x is not supported
in the configure script so I used --disable-gcc-checking and after the
warning about using a non supported complier, configure completed OK

the compile fails in libavcodec with:

cc -I../libvo -I../../libvo -I/usr/X11R6/include -O4   -maltivec
-mabi=altivec -pipe -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -D_REENTRANT
-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64  -DHAVE_AV_CONFIG_H -I..
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_GNU_SOURCE -c -o common.o
common.c
In file included from avcodec.h:14,
                 from common.c:28:
common.h:69: error: array type has incomplete element type
common.h:71: error: array type has incomplete element type
make[1]: *** [common.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/tmp/MPlayer-1.0pre6a/libavcodec'
make: *** [libavcodec/libavcodec.a] Error 2

Is there a 3.x compiler for FC4 or does anyone know the magic to get
Mplayer to compile?  Mplayer and hardware decoding of mpeg2 is the
primary reason for this exercise.

Any tips appreciated and if there is something some one want checked on
this hardware let me know.  It really is a neat little box.

I can post any logs or info anyone needs/ wants to help me figure out
what to do.

Thanks in advance,

Bret