FC4t1 and up2date

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sat Mar 19 03:22:50 UTC 2005

> Thanks for the workaround for up2date. I guess if you added all packages
> . (an * to the exceptions), it would allow you to select all packages.
>
> Regarding yum, I started using it even for FC3. With FC3 it is just a
> matter of running 'yum upgrade' as root from a terminal. For development
> use, it is a complete nightmare when there are packages that do not meet
> the required library versions. Though there was the  rationality that
> yum should quit if any package requirement is not met, it would be
> easier for yum to do the best with packages that conditions are met and
> report on programs that it could not resolve conflicts for. It doesn't
> seem the best practice to have to feed a long list of exclude packages
> to the yum parameter for development.

So you should take a look at yum in rawhide. (I think this is all in
rawhide ;)
specifically you should look at:
yum shell

to give you an example set of commands:

> update zip
Setting up Update Process
> transaction list
Transaction Listing:
  Update: zip.i386 0:2.3-30 - test1
> transaction solve
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Downloading header for zip to pack into transaction set.
---> Package zip.i386 0:2.3-30 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
> update xsri
Setting up Update Process
> transaction list
Transaction Listing:
  Update: xsri.i386 1:2.1.0-9 - test1
  Update: zip.i386 0:2.3-30 - test1
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Downloading header for xsri to pack into transaction set.
---> Package xsri.i386 1:2.1.0-9 set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
transaction run

.... things run here ....

The advantage this gives you is that after a failed depsolve it won't
kick you out.

it's still a work in progress and a lot of commands aren't fully
implemented, but it's a start.

-sv