FC4t1 and up2date

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Mar 19 05:49:20 UTC 2005

seth vidal wrote:
>>Thanks for the workaround for up2date. I guess if you added all packages
>>. (an * to the exceptions), it would allow you to select all packages.
>>
>>Regarding yum, I started using it even for FC3. With FC3 it is just a
>>matter of running 'yum upgrade' as root from a terminal. For development
>>use, it is a complete nightmare when there are packages that do not meet
>>the required library versions. Though there was the  rationality that
>>yum should quit if any package requirement is not met, it would be
>>easier for yum to do the best with packages that conditions are met and
>>report on programs that it could not resolve conflicts for. It doesn't
>>seem the best practice to have to feed a long list of exclude packages
>>to the yum parameter for development.
>>

> So you should take a look at yum in rawhide. (I think this is all in
> rawhide ;)
> specifically you should look at:
> yum shell
>
> to give you an example set of commands:
>

>>update zip
>
> Setting up Update Process
>
>>transaction list
>
> Transaction Listing:
>   Update: zip.i386 0:2.3-30 - test1
>
>>transaction solve
>
> --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
> ---> Downloading header for zip to pack into transaction set.
> ---> Package zip.i386 0:2.3-30 set to be updated
> --> Running transaction check
>
>>update xsri
>
> Setting up Update Process
>
>>transaction list
>
> Transaction Listing:
>   Update: xsri.i386 1:2.1.0-9 - test1
>   Update: zip.i386 0:2.3-30 - test1
> --> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
> ---> Downloading header for xsri to pack into transaction set.
> ---> Package xsri.i386 1:2.1.0-9 set to be updated
> --> Running transaction check
> transaction run
>
> .... things run here ....
>

> The advantage this gives you is that after a failed depsolve it won't
> kick you out.
>
> it's still a work in progress and a lot of commands aren't fully
> implemented, but it's a start.
>
> -sv

Thanks! I'll check out the feature. Having to wrangle through package
exclusions was the main distraction for not preferring yum over up2date.
Update through the GUI was as simple as unchecking choices with
checkmarks. The dep solving ability seems equally difficult with rpm,
up2date or yum. Having these programs doing their best, then presenting
some failure report for not upgrading some rpms sounds like a difficult
task. Any improvement is welcome.

Jim