mac mini install

Philipp Ott philipp.ott at avalon.at
Mon Mar 21 09:04:57 UTC 2005

>Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 09:15:47 -0500
>From: Gerald Henriksen <ghenriks at rogers.com>
>Subject: Re: mac mini install

>>>At the boot, try:
>>>
>>>	linux resolution=1024x768
>>>
>>>If that doesn't work, just do a "linux text" install as that'll at least
>>>get you up and running
>>

>Failure on both.
>
>Setting the resolution was ignored.
>
>Linux test results in a anaconda traceback saying no os module

linux text worked for me on the mac mini - unfortunately I not longer
have this sweety. I followed Colin Charles
http://www.bytebot.net/geekdocs/ibook/fedorappc.html instructions at the
end of the install process to check on yaboot.conf and /etc/inittab (I
think enablecdboot and macosx= was still missing). For disk partitioning
I used the manual mode of diskdruid and created the 1mb Apple Bootstrap
partition and one more ext3 partition for / of FC4. Then I uninstalled
the rhgb.rpm and removed the rhgb keyword from the kernel parameter
list, because this is broken during booting (shows only 640x480. The
resolution= parameter also never worked for me. Then I rebooted. After
installation gdm was sucking up CPU resources which I fixed with yum
update gdm - however only after disabling gpcheck in /etc/yum.conf,
before yum was always complaining about the missing key. Then I used the
Xautoconfig.rpm to create a working X config file and then FC4t1 worked
on the Mac Mini. I could even make the USB CDC Ethernet driver work with
the USB port of my Motorola SB4200 cable modem :-) The FC4t1 desktop
looks fine and I like the way the menu got cleaned up.

Regards
Philipp Ott