kernel source for ppc

Bret Hughes bhughes at elevating.com
Mon Mar 21 21:10:04 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 14:32, Chuck R. Anderson wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 01:58:40PM -0600, Bret Hughes wrote:
> > Since there does not seem to be a kernel-source rpm anymore, is there an
> > rpm to install the kernel source for ppc?  I installed kernel-devel but
> > i do not see a configs dir like I am used to so I can start with the
> > config that is on the running kernel.  has this process changed or are
> > the test packages just not there yet.
>
> Install the src.rpm instead.  Then look in /usr/src/redhat/*

OK, Thanks.  Is this setup a done deal?  If you are wanting to build
something that relies on the kernel source tree, I assume that a
rpm-build -p SPECS/kernel-version and
ln -s /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel-version /usr/src/linux
would provide the needed tree?

What a pita.  From reading rpm-qi kernel-devel, the kernel-devel package
is equiv. to the old kernel-headers?

I an sure there is a reason to do it this way but I am not seeing it
unless RH is just trying to make it harder for folks to migrate here
from other distros.

Sorry if this has been hashed out before I did not search the archives
before going off on this mini rant.

Bret