fixing yum

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 15:24:07 UTC 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:55:25 -0500, Claude Jones
> If I do yum -y update, after some time, it runs a list of packages
> to be updated, followed by a series of messages:

First of all.. i would strongly encourage you NOT to use -y when
updating from the development tree.  As a tester, its not necessarily
in your best interests to consume all updates without review.  You can
save yourself a lot of troubleshooting heartache if you take time to
at least review updates before they occur, it can really help you
narrow down  any problems which result from a rawhide update package,
especially if you don't have a broad knowledge of the underlying
subsystems.  Though i would caution you to be even more cautious, and
to do targeted updates of specific packages or small groups of
packages instead of all development tree updates with one step,
regardless of your tool of choice.

>  ---> Processing Dependency: [name of package]
> Followed by:
> Error: Missing Dependency: [name of package}
>
> There are about fifteen of those. Then I just revert to the
> prompt.

There has been significant discussion of these sorts of problems on
this list for over a week now. Please review the recent list archive
messages since test1 release.  This is not a yum problem.. this is a
problem with the development tree. The packages in the development
tree are not always self-consistent.  Yum attempts to resolve
dependancies, but if the development tree is not fully
self-consistent, the dependancies are unresolvable and hence the error
message.  These are packaging errors that the Core package maintainers
need to fix by providing associated package updates to make the tree
self-consistent.

For example libwnck in the development tree no longer provides libwnck-1.so.4
libwnck-2.10.0-1.i386.rpm now  provides libwnck-1.so.16

Many packages in the development tree stilll require libwnck-1.so.4,
for example
gnome-python2-libwnck-2.9.3-1.i386.rpm requires libwnck-1.so.4

Yum has the ability to exclude packages from the update calculation,
the specific --exclude options needed from day to day seems to be a
popular topic of discussion among some list members.

-jef

This situation happens frequently with the development tree, another
reason why yum -y isn't a particularly great idea to use when using
the development tree.