fixing yum

Claude Jones claude_jones at levitjames.com
Tue Mar 22 16:07:43 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
| On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:55:25 -0500, Claude Jones
|| If I do yum -y update, after some time, it runs a list of
|| packages to be updated, followed by a series of messages:
|
| First of all.. i would strongly encourage you NOT to use -y when
| updating from the development tree.  As a tester, its not
| necessarily
| in your best interests to consume all updates without review.
| You can
| save yourself a lot of troubleshooting heartache if you take
| time to
| at least review updates before they occur, it can really help
| you
| narrow down  any problems which result from a rawhide update
| package, especially if you don't have a broad knowledge of the
| underlying
| subsystems.  Though i would caution you to be even more
| cautious, and
| to do targeted updates of specific packages or small groups of
| packages instead of all development tree updates with one step,
| regardless of your tool of choice.
|
||  ---> Processing Dependency: [name of package]
|| Followed by:
|| Error: Missing Dependency: [name of package}
|| There are about fifteen of those. Then I just revert to the
|| prompt.
|
| There has been significant discussion of these sorts of
| problems on
| this list for over a week now. Please review the recent list
| archive messages since test1 release.  This is not a yum
| problem.. this is a
| problem with the development tree. The packages in the
| development
| tree are not always self-consistent.  Yum attempts to resolve
| dependancies, but if the development tree is not fully
| self-consistent, the dependancies are unresolvable and hence
| the error message.  These are packaging errors that the Core
| package maintainers
| need to fix by providing associated package updates to make the
| tree self-consistent.
|
| For example libwnck in the development tree no longer provides
| libwnck-1.so.4 libwnck-2.10.0-1.i386.rpm now  provides
| libwnck-1.so.16
|
| Many packages in the development tree stilll require
| libwnck-1.so.4,
| for example
| gnome-python2-libwnck-2.9.3-1.i386.rpm requires libwnck-1.so.4
|
| Yum has the ability to exclude packages from the update
| calculation,
| the specific --exclude options needed from day to day seems to
| be a
| popular topic of discussion among some list members.
|
| -jef
|

| This situation happens frequently with the development tree,
| another
| reason why yum -y isn't a particularly great idea to use when
| using
| the development tree.

Thanks for the long post. I actually have read the archives
extensively, but, as I'm still fairly new to Linux, it's hard to
separate the sound suggestions from the rest. As you point out
yourself, above, the use of -y is not such a great idea, an idea I
got from this list's archive. You suggest that I do targetted
updates, but, how does one figure out the targets? The list
produced by my yum upgrade command was very long. My FC4t1 box is
up, and I was able to fix the worst problem, the gdm hogging
resources problem. I did that by turning off gpg checking in the
yum.conf file. Since I don't fully understand what the effect of
doing that was, I've turned it back on.

Claude Jones
Levit & James, Inc./WTVS
Leesburg, VA, USA