fixing yum

Michael Schwendt fedora at wir-sind-cool.org
Tue Mar 22 17:06:55 UTC 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:58:47 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:

> On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 17:48 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:07:43 -0500, Claude Jones wrote:
> >
> > > produced by my yum upgrade command was very long. My FC4t1 box is
> > > up, and I was able to fix the worst problem, the gdm hogging
> > > resources problem. I did that by turning off gpg checking in the
> > > yum.conf file. Since I don't fully understand what the effect of
> > > doing that was, I've turned it back on.
> >
> > The effect is that you disabled GPG signature checking by default,
> > when instead you could have disabled it only for the FC Devel
> > repository in its config file in the directory /etc/yum.repos.d/
> >

> Well, I did that this morning for the FC Devel repository as you
> suggest. It didn't seem to make any difference in terms of my being able
> to update.

Right. It's not supposed to make a difference. It's unrelated to your
problem with broken/missing dependencies. Packages in FC Devel repository
and their dependencies are known to be broken temporarily.  So it's not
always possible to do full automated updates with yum.  That's why you
may need to specify individual packages if you still wish to upgrade some
parts.