FC3 Apache problem

Avinash Sridhar avinash.sridhar at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 16:33:28 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:08:10 +0000, Joe Orton <jorton at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2005 at 01:38:35PM -0500, Avinash Sridhar wrote:
> > hi,
> > I insatlled httpd using yum earlier this month and went about the
> > process of setting up a web server on my local machine. All went
> > well,except that I wanted to change the DocumentRoot directory to an
> > external usb drive. After googling a lot i found out that it was a bug
> > issue with selinux having a policy for httpd, so the bug fix was given
> > as
> >
> > chcon -R system_u:object_r:httpd_sys_content_t /my/new/docroot
> > or
> > setsebool -P httpd_disable_trans=1
>
> Which did you do?

i did both

> This could be a permissions issue: is the symlink readable by the Apache
> user?  If you are still running with the httpd transition enabled, do
> you get any new avc failures in /var/log/messages?
>
> joe

yes i chown apache:apache to the symlink as well as the whole
directory. I dint have to do this the last time beacause it worked out
of the box as soon i used the setsebool and the chcon. To elaborate a
little further, without the setsebool and chcon, httpd refused to run
saying that the DocumentRoot had to be a directory. Once i used both
the above commands , httpd dint complain but i get a 'permission not
granted" when i try to access the localpage through localhost on the
browser. Further googling i discovered the httpd error_log and thats
where repeated requests to the page were logged as 'Symlinks not
allowed for /var/www".

nope i have no avc failure corresponding to setsebool and the chcon
(they are all granted). The only failures are with ntpd.