We will soon be at FC4 and system-config-packages will stillfall short

Jean Francois Martinez jfm512 at free.fr
Thu Mar 24 07:25:48 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 08:09 +0100, Roger Grosswiler wrote:

> >> On a related topic, I agree it would be good to have complete
> >> control over the package selection, what I would like even
> >> better would be the return of the list of additional packages
> >> needed to satisfy the dependencies of the chosen packages.
> >>
> >> Often times, one selects a single small package with out
> >> knowing its dependencies and suddenly pulls in a ton of
> >> stuff that was not wanted.
> >
> > yum does this, I would expect pup would too.
> >
> > --
> hopefully, gyum will be quickly in the extras, in my opinion it is a real good "replacement" for
> system-config-packages, as yum even resolves the dependencies. Unfortunately, i did not test it that much, i use
> almost yum in the shell ;-)
>
> Isn't pup for printers??

Problem is: yum does not know how to swap CDs so any front end will have
the same limitation.  At work I have a quota of bandwidth, at home I am
not that happy about having a frontend who selects a mirror from Hong-
Kong when I have same software, same version in a CD on my desk.

BTW: the best front end for RPM is not synaptic but smartpm.  It is
smart enough to do downloads in parallel.  But it doesn't handle CDs.
smartpm can be foujnd at http://smartpm.org

--
Jean Francois Martinez <jfm512 at free.fr>