We will soon be at FC4 and system-config-packages will still fall short

shrek-m at gmx.de shrek-m at gmx.de
Thu Mar 24 07:44:21 UTC 2005

seth vidal wrote:

>>Do you have something in mind that is going to replace
>>system-config-packages? Is it goig to be something like synptic for apt?
>>Thaks
>>

>The point of the work going on w/pup is to make the pkg mgmt process
>less intimidating. Synaptic has the problem of being a VERY busy
>interface that a lot of less experienced users would get extremely lost
>in.
>
>Let's not start with that interface, let's figure out how we can make
>some interfaces up that make some of the processes easier.

will we find "pup" here ?
  http://linux.duke.edu/projects/

will it have ?

- edit existing yum.repos.d files
- add new repos, evtl. by clicking on
http://somwhere.org/repository/addthisyumrepo.file
- overview|enable|disable repos

- sort packages|groups by:  installdate, install-source, name, size, ...
- whichcd [RFE] - /usr/share/comps-extras/whichcd.py pckg1 pkg2 group1
group2

- show package|group dependencies
(is it possible to access the rpm database via odbc ?)

- sources (evtl. createrepo):
 cd (distri-cds, additional-cds), iso-file, ftp, http, webdav, nfs, ...

- different themes

--
shrek-m