We will soon be at FC4 and system-config-packages will still fall short

Demond James maestronn at wowway.com
Thu Mar 24 14:47:47 UTC 2005

seth vidal wrote:

>>will we find "pup" here ?
>>  http://linux.duke.edu/projects/
>>

>no, pup is a project paul nasrat(primarily) is working on  at red hat.
>

>>- edit existing yum.repos.d files
>>- add new repos, evtl. by clicking on
>>http://somwhere.org/repository/addthisyumrepo.file
>>- overview|enable|disable repos
>>
>>- sort packages|groups by:  installdate, install-source, name, size, ...
>>- whichcd [RFE] - /usr/share/comps-extras/whichcd.py pckg1 pkg2 group1
>>group2
>>
>>- show package|group dependencies
>>(is it possible to access the rpm database via odbc ?)
>>
>>- sources (evtl. createrepo):
>> cd (distri-cds, additional-cds), iso-file, ftp, http, webdav, nfs, ...
>>
>>- different themes
>>

>okay so let's think about this.
>
>Paul is writing an updater. It let's you select packages to update and
>it presents you the information in a non-threatening manner.
>
>All of the features you mention above are extremely threatening to the
>new user. Why on earth would we clutter up an interface with something
>like themes for an updater?
>
>-sv

you're right,
How about having a default simple non-threatening interface and an
advance user interface that give more power options.  Some of the
requested feature fit into the threshold on an intermediate user and I
think are something that new user will need and want to learn to do.  We
just have to be a little friendlier in how we present them to the new user.