We will soon be at FC4 and system-config-packages will stillfall short

Jean Francois Martinez jfm512 at free.fr
Thu Mar 24 18:42:48 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 02:35 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > Problem is: yum does not know how to swap CDs so any front end will have
> > the same limitation.
>
> Just out of curiosity, do you think not knowing how to swap CDs is some
> sort of permanent or unsolvable problem? Yum is not in a static state,
> adding capabilities, especially to the module is something we're doing
> all the time.

Nope but unless that you can guarantee there will be a tool with all the
required capabilities (ie allowing to swap CDs AND allowing to see all
what is in distribution AND graphic) for Fedora 5 at the latestI would
strongly  support just "stealing" teh system-config-packages like
modified by the Aurox people (http://www.aurox.org) as an interim
measure.  Not having a quarter-decent package management tool is really
hurting Fedora (IMHO the lack of a GUI or TUI precludes using yum
a package management tool, it is presently more of an automatic updater)

> >   At work I have a quota of bandwidth, at home I am
> > not that happy about having a frontend who selects a mirror from Hong-
> > Kong when I have same software, same version in a CD on my desk.
>
> well you really shouldn't have a hong-kong mirror listed in your
> mirrorlists :)

You are right, and I haven't.  I just attributed to yum the sins of
up2date who at times picks mirrors 12 time zones away from me.

--
Jean Francois Martinez <jfm512 at free.fr>