strage behavior without network

Bret Hughes bhughes at elevating.com
Fri Mar 25 18:16:36 UTC 2005

Booting with a disconnected network cable causes all sorts  of strange
behavior.

mac mini
kernel 2.6.11-1.1177_FC4
gdm-2.6.0.7-5
xorg-x11-6.8.2-13

[bhughes at minimac ~]$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1		localhost.localdomain localhost minimac
[bhughes at minimac ~]$

eth0 uses dhcp

I set up a cronjob that checks the network connection every five minutes
so I can login viz ssh with the machine in a locked up state.  I will
probably look to see if there is a way to setup a usb console next since
there is no serial port.

runlevel 5 : X is just a blank screen. login screen never displays.
Nothing I do from the keyboard works.  connecting via ssh after
connecting the nic I can see that gdm launches X but no X never runs
anything.

Once this happens if I reboot into runlevel 3, the screen is shifted to
the left and lines in the console are missing the leftmost characters.

Booting into runlevel 3 after shutting the machine down and booting into
runlevel 3 the console looks normal and I can log in ok but startx still
hangs

Any Ideas?

Could there be something needing a dns lookup?

Bret