artsd hanging.

Robert Couture rpa4email at rogers.com
Sun May 1 22:21:31 UTC 2005

Hello...

With the latest Rawhide update, I am getting serious sound issues.

I use KDE and ALSA is failing completely.  I get failed to start sound
service messages on startup occasionally (but not always) I am also
getting failures in KNotify saying that KNotify has crashed trying to
start KNotify.

I get no sound when trying to test sound with hardware set to Auto
Detect, yet I get sound when testing using Threaded Open Sound.

I also receive CPU Overloaded - aborting messages and artsd is using
49-50% CPU for both User and System for almost a 100% usage total.

Before the latest updates, I never did have Midi support.  Now I have
Midi support showing up in Sound System which does not work.

I have a cheap ES-1370 sound card that has given me no issues before now
(with the exception of Midi support.)

Is anyone else experiencing these type of issues with the latest update?
Better yet, any suggestion for trouble shooting and fixing this
issue? :)

Robert.