gaim & something else

Michael Wiktowy mwiktowy at gmx.net
Thu May 5 21:21:59 UTC 2005

Mary Ellen Foster wrote:

>  On 5/5/05, Matthew Lenz <matthew at nocturnal.org> wrote:
>
> > you shouldn't be having that problem with fc4t2 as i was under the
> > impression it used dmix (alsa software mixing) by default.
>

>  I do find that pure OSS apps still don't go through dmix -- e.g., if
>  I'm using skype, I can't do anything else sound-related, and if aRts
>  is running skype won't connect. Is there anything that you can put
>  into .asoundrc to make OSS emulation go through dmix?
>
>  MEF

I'd love to have pure OSS apps software mixing nicely with other
OSS/ALSA apps too.
I have had limited success with playback-only mixing but never when a
capture device is involved.
I am currently having problems mixing Teamspeak2 with anything else.
Also if any sound app is open when I start Firefox, any flash that plays
has no sound.
The joys of running closed-source apps, I guess. I am just patiently
waiting for new versions that support ALSA.

Some other dmix hints might be found here.
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=DmixPlugin
/Mike