Hard drive problem - not sure of the solution

Paul F. Johnson paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Fri May 6 14:48:36 UTC 2005

Hi,

After an update last week (the one with the initscripts problem), my machine
at work decided that life was no longer worth living and decided that booting
would let me get as far as giving the PIDs to network devices then fail.

On the machine at home, I was able to get back in by using RIP Linux and
disabling various services (namely clamav). I tried to do this at work, but
have found that I am unable to mount /dev/hda2 (fsck moans about the
superblock being corrupt).

I have a feeling this is not the case as if I boot up normally (using the
graphical boot), the graphical boot works upto the setting of the PIDs for the
network. Also, as /etc is being accessed for the likes of network.d, /dev/hda2
should be happy.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to fix this problem? I've used the following
for the values of the superblock:

32768, 98304, 163840, 229376, 294912, 819200, 884736, 1605632, 2654208,
4096000, 7962624, 11239424

and also tried using e2fsck -B 4096 (mke2fs -n has given this as the block size).

TTFN

Paul