reason to upgrade to test 3 for minimal?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue May 10 20:21:30 UTC 2005

On 5/10/05, Steven Morehouse <morehouse at telus.net> wrote:
> Hi. I have test 2 running after doing a minimal install.  Has anything
> relevant to a minimal install changed for test 3?

Difficult question. I'm sure glaring problems like the oo.org issue
have been fixed.
However, how minimal installs look really aren't the highest
engineering focus so i doubt many changes where made with the
intention of impacting minimal installs in test3.  The reality is, the
best way to see if something is atypically wrong with the minimal
install of test3 is to do a fresh minimal install of test3 and see.

> Everything I'm using FC4
> for seems to be solid in test 2.  I'm new to this - where can I see a
> comprehensive list of changes?

There is no such 'comprehensive' list.  You could query bugzilla and
see how many bugs have been closed as fixed since test2 was released.
Or you look at package changlog difference between test2 and tes3 for
each and every package that you are intimately interested in.  No-one
has compiled that 'comprehensive' changelog differences.  You could go
back into the archives of this list and look at all the daily rawhide
reports since test2 freeze which should be nearly equivalent.  It's
important to understand that the test releases are snapshots of the
development tree (aka rawhide).  The development tree sees some new
packages almost everyday, if you want to keep up with the
'comprehensive' changes from one test release to another you need to
watch the daily build reports.

>The summary only lists a few things but
> there had to have been more changes to that.  Any kernel upgrade?

The kernel question is easily answered by comparing the directory
listing on the test2 and test3 os/ tree on one of the mirrors. There
have been daily changes in the development tree since test2 release,
and those daily package changes show up as updates to test releases.
If you have been keeping your test2 system updated religiously, most
likely have packages from the development tree that are test3 versions
or in some cases newer.

-jef"i hate ground loops"spaleta