FC4T2 -> FC4T3

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Thu May 12 14:11:45 UTC 2005

On Thu, 12 May 2005, Dan A. Dickey wrote:

> I have FC4T2 installed on a machine.  Do I need to download and burn
> T3 to discs to install it, or can I just do a 'yum upgrade' or
> something simple like to that in order to get to T3?  Thanks.

i have two questions related to this.  first, regarding just running
"yum update" to stay on top of things, even across test releases, what
happens if there was a version of some package in "development" that
turned out to be badly broken, and the decision was made to back off
to an earlier version for the next test release?  does this happen?
if so, then just running "yum update" instead of reinstalling from
scratch would leave you with a system that, for that package, was
erroneously ahead of the curve.  or is this not an issue?

and, second, if one installs FC4t3 and is happy with it, can one just
leave it there across the official FC4 release and expect it to be
reasonably consistent with FC4 given regular "yum update"s?  and, for
the sake of access to yum repos, should one hack such a system to fake
that it's officially FC4?

rday