anaconda crash on Dell Precision 370

David Kewley kewley at gps.caltech.edu
Fri May 13 18:57:31 UTC 2005

David Kewley wrote on Friday 13 May 2005 11:41:
> Yesterday I reported a problem installing FC4t3 on the subject machine.
> I've reproduced this problem multiple times on this machine, both on FC4t3
> *and* on FC3.  I now have a keyboard with working F3 and F4 keys :) so can
> report what is on those virtual terminals at crash time.
>
> Here is a report for the crash toward the end of installing FC4t3.

And here now is a report for the crash toward the end of installing FC3.
Overall the errors are somewhat similar, but perhaps the differences may
provide a clue.

There are only two of the <4> line pairs with error -3.  There is one similar
<4> line pair, but with error -5.

There are many lines like this:

<3>Buffer I/O error on device loop0, logical block 8790

(the block number varies).

There are *two* anaconda segfault lines (different PIDs), one with error 7 and
the other with error 14.  I'll leave out the hex numbers if that's OK, since
I'm transcribing them by hand, changing between the two video inputs on my
monitor, with a short-term realmemory buffer in between. :)

I'm off to run memtest86 on this brand-new machine.  In the meantime, I'd
welcome any suggestions.

David