no python scripting support for kig in kdeedu (FC4T2)

Maurizio Paolini paolini at dmf.unicatt.it
Mon May 16 16:15:00 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I am new to this list; I browsed the archive and I think this problem
was not already discussed, so here I am.

As a co-author of kig I tried to test the "kig" version included in
the kdeedu rpm of fedora core 4 test 2 (3.91).  I think the problem
is the same in the new test 3, since the name of the kdeedu rpm
file bears exactly the same version and release number.

Anyway, what I found is that the "python scripting" support of
kig is completely missing, which is quite unfortunate.
python scripting depends on the presence of 'boost' and
'boost-devel' packages; the latter is needed when compiling kig
from source.

Unfortunately the 'boost-devel' libraries included in fc4 seem to be
incompatible with 'compat-gcc-32-c++' and 'compat-libstdc++-33'
since the result is a number of 'undefined symbols' at link time.
The official gcc compiler (4.0.0) of fc4 seems not good for compiling
kde in general and kdeedu/kig in particular.

Version 3.4.2 of gcc and g++ seems OK, but unfortunately it is not
part of fc4 :-(

I have a 'dirty' solution which allows me to build a working rpm
package for kig (with scripting support).

So, first question: whom should I contact in order to discuss this
problem?  Is this mailing list the appropriate place?

Second question: are we still in time for solving the problem
before the official fc4 release?

Thanks in advance,

Maurizio Paolini