strange devmaps lines in messages file

IgnitionWorks ignitionworks at yahoo.com
Tue May 17 17:14:56 UTC 2005

> > May 15 03:53:05 Hardy multipathd: no devmap found
> > Does anyone know what that means?
>
> The multipath daemon isn't finding a config or any
> multipath entries.
>
> You can turn off multipathd to get rid of the
> messages.

Out of curiousity, why are all services turned on at
boot? I assume this is to make it user friendly so
that everything works 'out-of-the-box'.

Are there thoughts to turn off non essential services
at install and let user selectively turns on
additional services he/she needs.

This, in my opinion, would,

1. Reduce boot time to some extent
2. Increase security (unncedded services aren't
running by default)
3. New users don't get overwhelmed with cryptic
services

Thanks,
Josh

Discover Yahoo!