yum aftermath

Michael Wiktowy mwiktowy at gmx.net
Fri May 20 20:49:31 UTC 2005

Let me help with some punctuation first ...
On Fri, 2005-05-20 at 02:28 +0000, Caleb Warta wrote and I parsed:
> OK, well ... yum did not have any updates to fix my artsd run-away issue. I
> still really, really need help with that. But it did undo my nVidia drivers, my
> mplayer install and my xmms install with mp3 player support. OK, I am not to
> good at installing none rpm stuff. For the most part I don't care to mess with
> it. But there are a few things like americas army and planeshfit that I took
> the time to learn how to install. But now after running yum I can listen to
> music play movies or 3d games. Well, I can now I have to install the nvidia
> drivers the hard way already. So I fixed that no problem but how can I remove
> rpm installed stuff so that I can reinstall the versions I downloaded before
> running yum? Also, how can I keep yum from overwriting "nvidia drivers", "xmms"
> and "mplayer".
>
> someone please help

Now with some technical help.

Firstly, I would assume that you are using a test release since you are
mailing to a testing mailing list. Expect a certain degree of
instability when using a test release. If this isn't acceptable to you,
stick with a stable release. If you are not using a test release, please
direct your questions to fedora-list at redhat.com .

Can't help with the artsd issue. I was under the impression that that
was solved. There might be some interplay between that and ALSA dmix
which FC is migrating to as a muxing solution AFAIK. It might help to
search through Redhat's bugzilla to track your particular problem and
add specific hardware specs and debugging output to that particular bug.

As far as your nvidia drivers, due to them being closed in nature, there
is added complexity in using them. Jeff Spaleta wrote a nice summary on
keeping your nvidia kernel module up to date using livna's rpms just
yesterday.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2005-May/msg00981.html

There seems to be a little bit of emphasis in that message about not
using both nvidia's installer and livna's packages at the same time ...
but you really have to read between the lines to get that message.

Before asking questions in the future, I would suggest doing some
research in those archives and those of other similar lists before
emailing the list.

At livna and rpmforge repositories, you can find an xmms and xmms-mp3
plugin package that will allow you to play mp3 files. You can also find
a gstreamer plugin that will allow you to play mp3 files using rhythmbox
and other gstreamer based players.

Setting up the yum repositories for livna and rpmforge will help you
keep those packages up to date but they do not necessarily track testing
releases. So you may get yourself into trouble with packages stepping on
each other.

"man rpm" at the command line will give you all the usage information on
using the rpm command.

You can exclude certain packages from getting updated running yum like:
yum --exclude=package1 --exclude=package2 update

If you don't know where some of the yum repos that I directed you to,
use Google to find them. Typically there are instructions on using them
on their homepages.

Hope this helps.

/Mike