Locked screen

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed May 25 16:14:39 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 12:35 -0400, Fulko.Hew at sita.aero wrote:

> William John Murray <w.murray at rl.ac.uk> on 05/25/05 11:27 AM wrote:
>
> > Just a thought for improving Fedora. We now have a 'new login'
> > menu item in gnome at least, which creates a new session nested inside
> > the old. Isn't this MOST useful when someone has left the screen locked?
>

> I completely dissagree with this feature request!
>
> If I have locked my screen, I did it for a reason.
> And that reason was, I didn't want _anyone_ else to use my system.
> There should be no way for another user to overide it.
> Only the system administrator should be allowed to do something,
> and that probably would entail killing my processes.

Uhm, what prevents an user with physical access from just removing power
and thereby killing your processes.

> > I come along, find one of my kids has locked the screen, and I can
> > either 'ctrl-atl-tab' or go and look for him. Bein able to just nest
> > a new session would be great.
>
> Your problem appears to be that you want to disable the
> screen locking mechanism so your kids can't lock _you_ out.
>
> If you need another 'session' you could always flip to another screen,
> login, do your stuff (even startx), log out, and leave the kids'
> screen still locked and untouched.

And exactly how discoverable is this?

To me the feature request makes a lot of sense. However, fast
user-switching, as this is a variant of, does have some issues we need
to work out (such as permissions on removable storage and other devices
- there's a few others too).

David