FC4_64 : Grub Is not Working on Dual boot

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Sat May 28 22:08:43 UTC 2005

On Sat, May 28, 2005 at 09:36:40PM +0300, blackman at pharm.uoa.gr wrote:
> installing Fc4_64 on hda2 and having Windows on hda1 grub on first boot comes to
> minimal bash like command line without the expected options (fedora, other).
> Please since this is the rc3 and there will be no other rc until the final
> version on june 6 take the time to test this bug!!!
> also seems that grub is not installing on MBR even when booting on rescue mode
> and try to
> grub-install /dev/hda

I am not sure what you are saying is happening. In FC4test3 (as well
as FC3) upon booting only the default boot choice is shown on the
screen and you are given 3 seconds or so to allow it to boot that
operating system of hit return to see the full range of operating
system choices. Is that what you are seeing?

And as I have said many times on the list grub-install is a kludge
because it often does not install the boot block correctly.
Boot rescue mode, chroot to root file system and install grub by the
following sequence of commands.
grub
grub> root (hd0,2)  <-- the 2 depends on where you linux is.
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

That always works for me when grub-install does not.

The universe is ruled by letting things take their course.  It cannot be
ruled by interfering.
		-- Chinese proverb
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science