Kernel updates

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Tue May 31 03:15:07 UTC 2005

On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 09:30:26PM -0400, Tim Taranov wrote:
 > I used it once to get a baseline for a 64-bit kernel I needed - I
 > ended up just downloading the sources rpm and rebuilding the kernel
 > (since I had to do a kernel recompile anyway b/c of my hardware
 > drivers). Worked pretty well for me. I believe though that Dave merges
 > his changes peridiocally into some main tree from where you can
 > download and install precompiled rpms using the regular yum update
 > command. Not sure how often he does this though.

How it works is.. I throw the srpm at the build system, and RPMs
pop out the other side. Once every so often (I think hourly, though
I've forgotten what I set it to) a cronjob fires, which copies
everything out of the build system to people.redhat.com

Normally, the following day, the highest version that is in the
buildroot gets pushed out to rawhide. Closer to release, the
automated 'if you build it, it goes to rawhide' thing gets turned
off, and packages get pushed through manually (which hopefully
explains why rawhide is 1-2 days behind what you see on my
people.redhat.com page the last few weeks).

		Dave