what happened to splash?

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Fri Nov 4 01:09:06 UTC 2005

After recent updates on my test system when I am starting a gnome
session on a root account a Fedora splash gets stuck in the middle
of my screen.  It prints at the bottom "Nautilus" and it sits there
until it will get a mouse click.  Does not seem to time out ever.

If I am starting on non-root accounts then nothing of that sort
happens.  It seems that a printer icon shows up next after Nautilus
on a splash bar but this, and disappearing splash, happen so fast
that I have troubles to be sure of that. :-)

One of differences is that RHN icon stopped showinig up on a panel,
so maybe this is that as I was _not_ starting up rhn_applet for
non-roots.  The trouble is that I did not figure out how to remove
from a panel something which is not there :-) so I have troubles
testing hypothesis that these two things are connected.  Looking
in various ~/.gnome* directories did not make me any wiser.

Anybody with ideas?

   Michal