starting X

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Thu Nov 17 01:00:13 UTC 2005

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 03:15:52PM -0700, Paul Dickson wrote:

> Prior to the above, I had to remove the link (initially renamed)
> /etc/X11/X.

The same here; but in my case an update pretty much killed my
working so far X server.  I have Radeon 9500 Pro card.  Before
this update it worked with "radeon" driver in 24-bit depth.
Tring radeon driver now ends up with

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

I can only use 'vesa' in 16-bits as with 24-bits and that driver
a display is thorougly garbled.

There are also complaints "Couldn't open RGB_DB '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb'".
Indeed, /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb.txt is gone.  And I am also getting
alerts about "Error activating XKB configuration".  I still have
look at fonts.  Pretty messy.

So far I did not even try to see what gdm will do.  After an update
and before a reboot the whole display, X or no X,  promptly crashed
taking a keyboard with it.  Luckily I could get in from a remote
machine.

   Michal