Rawhide install success - NOT?

John Ellson ellson at research.att.com
Sat Nov 19 05:25:19 UTC 2005

G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 11:25:37AM -0800, MJang wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> Just reporting success with an install from today's (11-18) Rawhide on
>> my HP Laptop (ze4500 series). Presumably with the freeze in effect,
>> today's build is essentially the same as what we'll see from FC5 Test 1.
>> So if you want a pre-preview.....
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike
>>

> On the other hand....
> Some module being probed during hardware initialization is munging my
> video display.  This has happened with the Trident Cyberblade/i1 and an
> ATI Rage XL card.
>
> The screen comes back from reset with vertical lines and bits of text
> (not even whole letters!) between the lines.  I've moved the tridentfb
> module out of the way, and that implies that it's some other module that
> is the culprit.  I'm off the hunIn my case I probl.

Any chance it could be hal, perhaps on an Athlon?

I upgraded five i686 boxes and one Athlon yesterday, and only the Athlon
had problems.
I couldn't get X to start.  I tried three different graphics cards
without success.  Eventually I downgraded hal and that fixed it.

I don't recall why I suspected hal.  Something in /var/log/messages I think.

John