Availability FC5 - Test 1

Michael H. Warfield mhw at wittsend.com
Tue Nov 22 19:56:21 UTC 2005

> On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 10:01 -0500, Will H. Backman wrote:
> > Within Redhat I started with control-panel and glint.
> > I have progressed through gnome-rpm, gnome-linuxconf, and Update Agent.
> > Now I have yum and the system-config-* tools.
> > Am I now looking at something called Pup?
> >
> > I think the tools are getting better all the time, but I think the name
> > changes hurt the manageability.
>
> Would you rather the name stayed the same but not one bit of the old
> code be used?  None of the old options used, none of the old
> documentation relevant, etc etc...?

	No...  If the functionality changes (major changes in parameter or
paradigm, not merely enhancements) then there needs to be a change.  I
agree with changing the name.

> Pup is new software.  Needs a new name.  up2date still exists in RHEL,
> and won't be replaced.  How confusing would it be to have an up2date in
> Fedora that is completely different from the up2date in RHEL?

	As I said, it needs a name change.  I would have changed the name on
the various versions of pump (except I was in the camp screaming to DUMP
PUMP) and I was very unhappy with the change in stunnel that broke all
my SSL based VPN tunnels on an upgrade.

> Progress means new thinking, new applications, and new names.  These are
> mentioned in release notes, package lists, mailing lists, blogs, etc...

> --
> Jesse Keating RHCE      (geek.j2solutions.net)
> Fedora Legacy Team      (www.fedoralegacy.org)
> GPG Public Key          (geek.j2solutions.net/jkeating.j2solutions.pub)

> Was I helpful?  Let others know:
>  http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=jkeating

	Mike
  /\/\|=mhw=|\/\/       |  (678) 463-0932   |  http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/