2.6.14-1.1696_FC5 installs but kernel crashes on boot

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Wed Nov 23 04:11:34 UTC 2005

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 02:11:31AM +0000, Andy Burns wrote:
 > Andy Burns wrote:
 >
 > >I get another panic which I think is
 > >related to the saa1734 driver, time to whip the DVB-T cards out
 >
 > yes, without those cards and with "mem=nopentium" 1696_FC5 boots into X,
 > although I do have the offset pixels and incorrect colour planes that
 > I've seen reported by others using the vesa driver.

There's quite a few rough edges right now on the kernel, especially
in various drivers that have knowledge of VM internals.
So sound/video drivers may be a bit shaky for a while, but keep
trying the rawhide kernels over the next few weeks, things should
start to get better real soon, as the problems are known and understood
upstream, it's just a matter of whacking enough of the bugs to get
the fixes into shape for merging.

 > I suppose the root cause of the write protect readonly data needs to be
 > identified, of course I'd be happy to test any fixes of that.

Yeah, Arjan pinned it down earlier to a fix that made made
it into x86-64, but the same fix was needed in x86-32 too, but
never made it in. I'll get that looked at tomorrow sometime.

 > I did notice several ATAPI resets causing a bit of delay during booting,
 > is that a side-effect of the kernel swapping between IDE and AHCI mode?
 > Is there any actual benefit to using AHCI?

The resets sound a bit scary. Can you a file a bug in bugzilla please?
Mention your hardware configuration there too (what drives you have
connected).

 > I'll try the DVB-T cards back in again (they are the eventual *point* of
 > this box) and log any bugs with the SAA driver separately,

See above re audio/video ;)

 > also it looks
 > like the xorg ati driver doesn't like my PCIe card, so I'll look into
 > that too.

My PCIE card broke with modular X too, but it turned out that it
was only working before by some miracle ;)  I needed to edit my
config file, and since then, has worked fine.

system-config-display and the like still need some tweaks to cope
with some of the more recent Xorg changes it seems.

		Dave