Enabling ATAPI libata in Fedora kernels?

Paul Dickson paul at permanentmail.com
Thu Nov 24 16:04:13 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 15:06:49 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 06:21:50AM -0700, Paul Dickson wrote:
>  > I currently using the 2.6.14-1.1696_FC5 kernel on my notebook.  My hard
>  > drive is on /dev/sda and lspci says:
>  >
>  > 00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FBM (ICH6M) SATA Controller (rev 03)
>  >
>  > Currently, my DVD/CD-RW drive appears as /dev/hdc.  It has no DMA
>  > support.  Thus, if I use xine to play a DVD with the processor running
>  > full out (1.6GHz), it jumps and studders much worse than my 6 year old
>  > notebook (300MHz, PII).
>
> SATA ATAPI is enabled in the current builds, they may not have gone
> out to rawhide yet due to the test1 freeze.  You can grab them early
> at http://people.redhat.com/davej/kernels/Fedora/devel/

According to the rawhide report that was sent out after my message but
before your's, it was enabled in 1707, which I yum-updated to.

I was able to get the DVD/CD-RW to appear on /dev/scd0 after booting with
the "hdc=none" option.  DMA appears to be working too.

Thank you for your work and your reply.

	-Paul