compat-libstdc++-33 still missing in my default install (all except KDE)

Bill Crawford billcrawford1970 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 22:57:58 UTC 2005

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> DAVID BENTLEY wrote:
>
>> compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3-47 not installed by default
>> and therefore needs to be manually installed in order
>> to run realplayer 10 as in FC4.
>>

> The Fedora installer does not install packages and dependencies which
> are not selected. It has been suggested before that the "Legacy
> Software Development" group be enabled by default in the installer.
> That has the problem that Fedora would have be installing compability
> cruft for packages which arent provided by Fedora, possibly forever
> since the packages wouldnt be updated. Alternatively the problem can
> be reported to such programs to move on and support the newer libs.
> The information on installing these legacy software would be available
> in the release notes. Suggestions?
>
> regards
> Rahul

This problem actually arises because the rpm package for realplayer is
built without automatic dependency checking; an explicit dependency on
"gtk2" (without a version) has been added.

If the package were built properly, this wouldn't be an issue (as the
dep would be noticed by yum or rpm, depending on how the user tries to
install realplayer).

Installing "by hand" without using the rpm is asking for trouble,
although this needs a big red warning in the release notes, and possibly
some kind of comment in the installer package selection to the effect
that the "legacy" compat libs may be useful for, say, certain third
party applications.