FC5t1 report - ultimately a failure on work1

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Fri Nov 25 06:13:18 UTC 2005

david walcroft wrote:
> G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
>> I wasn't expecting anaconda to come up and install correctly on work1;
>> but I was gladly suprized when it handled the Trident Cyberblade/i1
>> correctly and went through the install without a glitch.
>>
>> The install from CD media proceeded (slowly) and everything went
>> according to plan, it post-configured, installed grub and went to the
>> reboot screen.
>>
>> Crossing my fingers, I removed all the CDs and clicked the mouse.
>>
>> BIOS....Grub...LVM....udev....initializing hardware....(damn!)
>> before printing "storage " the screen glitches and the machine freezes
>> up completely.
>>
>> Something in udev 075-2 just does *not* like my machine.
>>
>> work1:  MSI mobo with Trident AGP video onboard
>>     RTL ethernet onboard
>>     AC97 audio onboard
>>     VIA chipset onboard - PCI etc.
>>     Maxtor IDE harddrive (6 GB)
>>     DVD ROM
>>     CD-RW drive (all detected correctly)
>>     256 MB PC100 RAM
>>     Pionex DDE monitor
>>     (rather vanilla system)
>>
>> The suspect is the VIA chipset and the udev interacting somehow.
>> Too tired to prod the thing tonight, rescue mode and tring an alternate
>> video card tomorrow.
>>
>> Hope y'all had a happy turkey day!
>>

> Whats a 'happy turkey day'
>
>   david

American holiday celebrating the Pilgrims good fortunes.  Traditional
main course is a turkey.  Lots of food, lots of eating, lots of
football, lots of good times.  Also, traditional start of holiday season
with lots of travel.

Looks like a lot of Fedora folks were active today with FC5T1
installing, testing, bug reporting, etc.  It's 1:11 AM Friday here and
am still at it trying to find all of the bugs.

Have a happy Down Under.

--
Regards,

Old Fart