FC5T1 and Nvidia Driver

Justin Conover justin.conover at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 13:14:35 UTC 2005

On 11/25/05, Matt Carter <matt.carter85 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Guys
>
> Now that I have a "Working" FC5 install I decided to start with adding
> the Nvidia Driver to my Kernel, no problems I thought.
>
> Downloaded and started doing the install as normal from console, said
> it required the GCC stuff and the Kernel Devel, installed those.
> Nvidia installed, great I thought, started editing my Xorg.conf so
> that my Geforce Go 6200 TC would be able to use the driver. Changed
> driver to "nvidia" as per normal, rebooted and no xserver. So I tried
> again and added the extra specifics for my laptop such as the
> Modeline. Happened again so this time I put in "nv" instead of "nvidia
> and it worked?
>
> Not sure what is going on as X wouldnt output a detailed problem.
>
> Matt
>
> --

Good luck getting help with a closed source driver on the rawhide list ;-)

For what it's worth, I talked to a nvidia developer and they will have a new
release "hopefully at the end of the month" that supports modular xorg.

I've also see folks get it working with modular xorg in other distros so its
possible, I just haven't had the time to try.