iPod FireWire mounting broken?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Nov 28 14:58:00 UTC 2005

In fc3 and fc4 I would use FireWire with my iPod (mini - first
generation). USB mounting would not work - but :shrug: - I like FireWire

I use gtkpod (my own build) - with special files to tell HAL not to
mount it, create a /dev/ipod symlink to the real device node, autofs to
mount it, console.perms to eject (so the do not disconnect goes away)
etc.

Then I let gtkpod do the mount/unmount - which would only work for users
in the group gtkpod (which consists of just me). It worked well - in fc3
and fc4.

Purpose of which was to make sure iPod is not mountable when left docked
and I'll let visiting kids use comp to play xgalaga or surf or whatever.

-=-
In fc5/devel - it would not create the /dev/ipod symlink - perhaps a
change in udev means I need to update my udev file. So I removed all my
custom crap that I had made (packages as an rpm). Should have then
mounted on desktop - it did not. Hardware browser saw it - but attempts
to manually mount failed claiming a filesystem error.

Switched to USB and it mounted perfectly (though after syncing - my
mouse sometimes doesn't work unless unplugged and replugged)

Anyone else having firewire iPod issues in devel?
Or is it just me?
I know FireWire is somewhat touchy in Linux.

Anyone know of a solution? I could set up my scripts to do usb mounting
so only I can mount it, but I'd rather get the FireWire thing working -
I much prefer FireWire (sorry apple, won't be buying a video iPod
anytime soon :p)