Xen kernels in FC5t1

Andy Burns fedora-test at adslpipe.co.uk
Wed Nov 30 09:30:39 UTC 2005

John Summerfied wrote:

> In System/370 it became VM
> One of the important features of VM is that it's self-hosting: one can
> run VM under VM (ad nauseum).

I knew that could be done on S/370, but then I thought the processor
there was more amenable to being virtualised than the i386 architecture
(without pacifica/vanderpool)

> All VM requires is unfettered access to the virtual hardware.

but VMWARE != IBM VM != XEN, I have tried running VMWARE GSX inside
VMWARE workstation and it crashes horribly very early on ...

I have sucessfully run qemu (the emulating version, not with the kqemu
virtualizing module) under vmware

Admittedly xen is a *PARA*virtualizer, but I would have still thought it
really expected to have control of the real hardware, but I'm happy to
see that Gawain Lynch says that it did used to work in older versions...

> It might be, I'm not expert in this, that for self-hosting (or hosting
> under VMware) of Xen to work (ow work well) it will need virtualisation
> capabilities to be released by Intel and AMD in the near future.

Maybe, I wish AMD would get their finger out, intel will be releasing
Q405, AMD are slated for Q106 ...