x86-64 rawhide update obnoxiousness

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Tue Oct 11 14:31:01 UTC 2005

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 09:19:12AM -0400, Steve Grubb wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 October 2005 08:52, seth vidal wrote:
> > Maybe I should add a routine where:
> >  if we're on a biarch machine and we're updating a package for one arch,
> > check for the biarch package and see if it can be updated too.
>
> I think that would be helpful. I cannot imagine anyone wanting to keep .i386
> & .x86_64 packages out of sync.

It is worse.  As I noted before if you will get these packages out
of sync and later such "delayed" update for the other architecture
will show up then yum will fail to notice that there is some work to
be done.  So that routine Seth is thinking about most likely should
fail the whole transaction if a pair is needed but one is missing.

Another possibility - a check for updates should look not only
on versions but on architectures too.  I do not really know on which
level this happens - yum or rpm.

   Michal