Fedora Core 4 Test Update: NetworkManager-0.5.0-1.FC4.1

Jason Vas Dias jvdias at redhat.com
Thu Oct 20 15:33:35 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 19 October 2005 19:41, Neal Becker wrote:
> It seems to be working, but doesn't save my key.  When I restart applet it
> asks again.  I see this message:
>
> In syslog:
> Oct 19 19:38:03 nbecker2 dhcdbd: message_handler: message handler not found
> under /com/redhat/dhcp/eth1 for sub-path eth1.dbus
> .get.domain_name
> Oct 19 19:38:03 nbecker2 NetworkManager: <WARNING>        ():
> get_ip4_string(): error calling 'domain_name', DHCP daemon retur
> ned error 'org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod', message 'Method
> "domain_name" with signature "" on interface "com.redhat
> .dhcp.dbus.get" doesn't exist '.
>
> On stderr I see this:
> ** (nm-applet:5591): WARNING **: Error saving passphrase in keyring.  Ret=2
>
> I'm running on kde, not gnome.  Maybe that's the problem?

The first time NetworkManager attempts to contact dhcdbd for an $interface
that has not been configured under control of the current dhcdbd process,
dhcdbd emits this message:
  ... message handler not found under .../$interface
and returns an error to NetworkManager, which reacts by sending the 'UP'
message to dhcdbd to configure $interface.

These messages signify no problem and occur during normal operations -
we should probably look into preventing their generation in a future release.

NM could use the dhcdbd 'list' method to list configured interfaces, before
asking for a possibly nonexistent interface option, which would avoid these
messages .

The keyring error message:
 'WARNING **: Error saving passphrase in keyring'
does signify a problem - look into bugzilla and raise a NetworkManager bug
report if no existing bug reports mention this issue.

Thanks & Regards,
Jason Vas Dias.