Fedora Core 4 Test Update: NetworkManager-0.5.1-1.FC4.1

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Oct 21 12:18:15 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-21 at 11:27 +0100, David Woodhouse wrote:
> Doesn't seem to work here. It asks for the encryption key, sets the key
> correctly and the link is working. IPv6 autonegotiation works and
> connectivity is working -- I can see traffic on the network with
> tcpdump. But there's no DHCP request, so no Legacy IP address, and very
> soon it asks me for another encryption key.

Upon rebuilding it to debug, I found that it refused to build unless I
had a newer wireless-tools package installed. That newer wireless-tools
seems to have been sufficient to make it work -- you should probably add
it to the RPM requirements.

However, it's still not particularly user-friendly. I was asked again
for the WEP key and accidentally entered it as a passphrase instead of a
hex key. Then I couldn't work out how to _change_ the WEP key. It was
unable to connect, of course, but it didn't ask me for the key again.

Eventually I was able to enter a new key by killing
'gnome-keyring-daemon'. Not the most user-friendly experience.

Unfortunately I'm also required to enter my password for
gnome-keyring-daemon each time I boot the laptop, before the wireless
network will connect. I'm sure it used to connect as soon as the machine
booted, but now it's waiting for me -- that's a fairly significant
regression, since I'm used to just powering the laptop up and walking
away from it, then logging in over the network.

--
dwmw2