High Resolution timers support in Fedora?

Arjan van de Ven arjanv at redhat.com
Sun Oct 23 14:23:59 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-10-23 at 09:54 -0400, Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to play with high resolution timers under linux and GCC.
>

> Where is the function "gethrtime()" ?

I think you're sort of are confusing 2 independent things wrt time:

1) getting the current time

gethrtime() is part of that, but in linux gettimeofday() already is
reasonably accurate.

2) scheduling future events with great accuracy

Scheduling an event in the future is called "timer".
Right now linux can achieve a 2msec "resolution" when scheduling such
future events; the ktimer subsystem will increase that resolution
greatly.

Which one of the two do you actually mean/want?