Install report 2006-08-02 - mostly failed

G.Wolfe Woodbury ggw at wolves.durham.nc.us
Thu Aug 3 11:04:03 UTC 2006

Today's installs mostly failed.

HTTP is not that reliable a method, and there is no timeout protection
in anaconda to detect failed http downloads.  This is a major issue when
trying to use extras-development as a repository during installs.  Three
times today http download have failed and hung the installer.

An install without adding extras-development mostly succeeded, but there
was an "unhandled exception" crash at the very end.  I lost the anacdump.txt
file due to a bad floppy.  It it happens again I have a clean floppy prepared
now.

Firstboot failed after the install with a "failed to start any firstboot
interface" runtime error.

Some program is still not detecting the monitor correctly on my dual-head system
and failing to configure xorg.conf correctly.  The monitor detection in FCdevel
is currently very broken on my testbed machine.

--Wolfe