Enabling compiz

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 07:23:10 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 20:18 -0500, Jay Cliburn wrote:
> I'd like to try out compiz, but every time I start it, I lose window
> decorations and basic window manager functionality.  A thread over in
> fedora-devel suggested enabling dri, but I think it's already enabled on
> my system.  From xorg.conf,

..

> I'm using an Nvidia FX5200 AGP video adapter with the nv driver.
> Section "Device"
>          Identifier  "Videocard0"
>          Driver      "nv"
>          VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
>          BoardName   "nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]"
> EndSection
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Jay

You are using the open source nv driver which lacks any type of OpenGL support required to run AiGLX/Compiz.
More-ever, while the nVidia closed source binary driver (downloadable from http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html) which has full 3D support and has Windows like performance, still doesn't support AiGLX/Compiz (The notorious GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap support is missing)
Only the future 9x.xx release (Scheduled to be released in Sep/Oct 06) is supposed to include AiGLX/Compiz support. (Which should coincide with FC6's release).

In short, you'll have to wait before giving compiz a try.

Gilboa